Questions about Dengue Fever are answered by doctors at TCI Healthcare System.
Q: How serious Dengue fever is in Vietnam?
A: In 2022 there were 367,729 cases of Dengue fever in Vietnam. According to the Hanoi Center for Disease Control (CDC), in the past four weeks, Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, reported a rising rate of Dengue fever cases. Nearly 500 cases were reported weakly, 4 times higher than the average of the previous 4 weeks. The situation is predicted to be more complicated in the next months.
Q: When is the Dengue season in Vietnam?
A: Dengue infection is unstable in Vietnam. However, the peak season of Dengue is from June to October annually.
Q: How to avoid Dengue Fever at home?
- Keep your house and common household items clean
- Keep good personal hygiene
- Cover and clean mosquitoes’ breeding grounds such as water containers, flower vases, trash cans, etc.
- Wear long sleeves and pants to avoid mosquito bites, especially during the rainy seasons or when you know you will be exposed to insects.
- Apply mosquito repellent to exposed areas of the skin like the arms and legs, especially during the rainy seasons or when you know you will be exposed to insects.
- If you develop any of these warning signs of Dengue fever, seek immediate medical care before the situation turns severe.
Q: How effective is the Dengue vaccine?
A: The Dengue vaccine protects against four types of Dengue: Dengue 1, 2, 3, and 4. However, even when the vaccination is highly effective, there is still a low risk that some vaccinated people can still get the viral infection.
Q: What happens if Dengue is left untreated?
A: Without treatment the illness, patients can experience heavy bleeding and a drop in blood pressure, which is a medical emergency. Dengue can lead to death if the symptoms are not taken care of.